Thursday, May 12, 2005

Irish Adventures Part II

I'll try to respond to a few of the comments posted to my last entry, as well as a few new observations:

* I don't have a camera, which is pathetic. I might buy one while I'm here, but in any case I'm relying on my "photographic memory" and my "keen artistic skills" to timelessly capture this place. No need to worry.

* Ireland, or at least this town in Ireland, does have lots of pubs. They also have lots of places to get coffee. Probably espresso too, but so far I've only been drinking coffee. Some of it is crappy in the same was that crappy coffee in the states is crappy but some of it is that fantastic European-style coffee with the nice froth on top. Mmm.

* It still might rain Guinness here; I haven't actually seen it rain yet. I have heard that the Oompa Loompas sprinkle Guinness from the ceilings of the Guinness factory. Yes, Sarah, there are Oompla Loompas. You probably didn't recognize them as such because they look just like Jim Stevens. Crazy, I know. Or perhaps they are invisible to those who can't appreciate Guinness. I've never heard of the river of Guinness, but it's probably one of those things that's very hush hush. Reading Srta's post made my mouth water, though. "Wild, free-flowing, unkegged Irish Guinness" sounds divine. Do you write for their brochure?

* Pubs are interesting here. No distinction is made between tender-of-bar and tender-of-tables. For example, the bar in my hotel seems to be one of the lunch/dinner/evening hot spots. Last night I was there having a nightcap (two pints of Guinness) and I was fascinated by the waiters/waitresses. There were several of them buzzing about the entire bar, taking orders at every table, mixing drinks, bring out food, cleaning, socializing, etc. This non-assignment of server-to-table is only made possible through two simple truths:
1. when patrons are ready to pay, the bring their check (which sits at the table available for any server to make additions when necessary) to the bar
2. no tips are given
An additional note about tips: I left a tip for the nice lady who cleaned my room the first day, complete with a little note saying thanks...she didn't take it.

Alright, that's about enough for now. Time to get to work.