Tuesday, October 19, 2004

cube decorations to come soon

Well, after two days of work I'll share some thoughts. I hesitate slightly - because how much can one really know after such a short time? - so be warned that I might be way off with my assessments. At any rate, here goes:

-> Baseview/Harris & Baseview is a very good company for which to work. They're established, respected, and seem to do good business. The Baseview campus is very laid back. Yesterday, while walking through the hall, I shared a smile with the VP of Sales who was walking his dog through the building, wearing jeans. No, not the dog. So that's what they meant by casual business casual. Needless to say it was jeans to work for me this morning. If only I had a dog to bring with me. Additionally, everyone seems really friendly and willing to help me out. This is key, as I'm a newborn when it comes to the world of newspapers.

-> When I arrived monday morning my supervisor had a checklist of things to do with me that day. This list included things like:
a) getting my laptop: a 15'' PowerBook G4, 1gHz, 1gB, 60gB, Combo Drive, external mouse, keyboard, monitor, and Targus bag
b) setting up my AmEx corporate account, phone card, email and server accounts, and Front Base developers license
c) spending hours setting up software on my computer
d) cleaning my cube - incidentally this was on the list two or three times - ha!
e) blah

-> Today was spend learning how to use our customer database system, as well as scratching the surface of how the product that I will be training works.

-> Tomorrow? More of the same.

-> I leave for my first trip next Tuesday, returning the following Friday (after Halloween). Staunton, VA. I might squeeze another trip in before Thanksgiving, in which case I might be returning the day before Thanksgiving. Oh well, at least I get a 4-day weekend.

-> Speaking of Thanksgiving, read my brother's latest post. I like the idea of the new foodstuffs blog, as long as I am allowed to contribute my famous green spam 'n cabbage souffle for St. Pat's.

Well, the battery on this little guy (iBook) is getting a little low, which means it's time for his nap. Sweet dreams, iBook, sweet dreams.