Sunday, December 05, 2004

Bowling WAO!

Well, it's been a little too long since my last post. Let me try to give you some of the updates:

* Fort Frances continued to be a good site, and I had some good follow-up contact with the owners of the paper this past week.

* Thanksgiving was great, though the weekend was scarred by a virus that ran rampant through my family. I doubt I'll ever be able to convince my folks to visit me in November again (it wasn't the first time this sort of thing happened).

* My pumpkin ale was quite good; there are only a few minor adjustments I would make the next time around. All in all, success.

* This past week I really hit my stride at work. It was my first chance to really do everything for a site, hence it was the first opportunity for me to test myself. I feel I did pretty well, and I think I'll settle in nicely to the position.

* Friday post-work was an interesting evening of hanging out with coworkers (and some important ones at that) over beer and bowling. Let me translate. Interesting = fun but kinda weird, as hanging out with coworkers must almost always be. The highlight of the evening by far was watching one of the higher ups in the company singing karaoke, poorly, at the bowling alley. Haha. So shady. If only I had brought my camera.

* Today I arrived at my next site: Oklahoma City. We (Kelly, a coworker, and I) got in around 11:00 so to kill some time before checking in we visited the Oklahoma City Memorial and then had a late lunch/beer at a brew pub in Bricktown. I had their irish dry stout; Sneaks brews a better one. The Memorial was nice, though. Despite the fact that it's been nearly 10 years since the bombing, walking around the site is very surreal. For every life lost that day, a chair can be found in a nine-row set (one for each floor of the building) adjacent to the outdoor memorial. I'm not exactly sure why chairs were used, but it's a pretty staggering site. I'm thankful I got to witness it.

That's pretty much it for now. Oh, I did get to fly first class on the way out here (only my second time to experience that joy) which was fantastic. Hopefully I'll have some fun stories later this week. For now it's time for a little Steely Dan. Is there anyone who doesn't not dislike Steely Dan? I don't think so.